31 July 2008

The Birds and the Bees

Zoe has somehow picked up a fear of bees over the last few days. I'm not sure how these things happen. Today I noticed that Zoe was afraid to walk out to her playhouse because of the 'bubblebees' around the tomato plants and Russian Sage.

When we came back inside, a large housefly came through the back door at the same time. I noticed him but didn't think much of it. Zoe decided to go upstairs for a tea party while I was nursing Miles downstairs so she was up there by herself for a bit. Suddenly I heard her crying and saying "I wanna hold you!" I put Miles down and went up to check on her. She told me that the bumblebee stung her. There was no bee, just the large housefly buzzing about the room. Zoe was terrified. I spent about 45 minutes trying to get the fly out of the house so she could function. Eventually I managed to trap him between the back doors. Crisis averted.

Later in the afternoon we were getting ready to leave and we heard a big thump on the front window. It was loud enough that it drew Zoe's attention. Unfortunately, I discovered a bird on the front porch. I'm kind of surprised that it flew into the window given that there were curtains behind the glass and it shouldn't have been that reflective. Anyway, Zoe asked almost immediately "What the bird doing, Mama?" I guess I wasn't really prepared for that discussion. So I took the easy way out and told her that the bird was napping. After we left I called Jesse and asked him to relocate the bird before we got home so I didn't have to lie to her again.

We had our 6 week postpartum visit today with the midwife. Everything went well, and Miles is up to 12 lbs 3 oz. As Zoe would say, "I cannot believe it!" Miles is becoming so much more interested in the rest of the world. He has started to smile at Zoe a bit and she really likes that. His favorite toy is the giraffe on his Gymini. He coos and swats at it.

Zoe is really making leaps and bounds in her language. Yesterday when we were picking out nail polish colors for her, she said "That is the best fingernail polish I have ever seen!" My friend Adriana pointed out that we really need some more Zoe video. I thought this would be a good place to post some of the cute videos from the past, in case some of you haven't seen them. Once we get the little video camera back I promise we'll get some fresh ones.

Here's Zoe around 9 months of age:



Here's a good one for Muppets fans: